Total Pageviews

Monday 29 September 2014

Star Focus: Ameera Abraham

TELL us about yourself, growing up, family
background, education and all?
I am Ameera Abraham, I am the CEO and Creative
Director of The Nail Bar (TNB). I am a certified
beautician. I grew up in Kaduna, Lagos and London
respectively and this has really helped shape my
outlook in life.
Why the nail business?
I opened The Nail Bar because firstly I have always
been passionate about beauty and nail care in
particular. Secondly, I found there was no salon or
spa that catered solely to nail care in Abuja so it
was the perfect location and opportunity to build my
dreams.
Please fill us in on your rise to fame and how it all
started?
I’m not sure if I would call it a rise to fame, but
The Nail Bar has had a steady flow of positive
recognition and it keeps getting better on a daily
basis. I started TNB at the age of 22, I was young,
passionate and full of great ideas like many people
my age. Thankfully I had a mother who was very
willing to listen and act on them. I have been
surrounded by the most loving, supportive and
talented people through my journey. Although there
were countless times where I felt like giving up. I
have also learnt that consistency is key and
persistence and endurance pays off! In 2012 and
2013, we were nominated for Beauty Establishment
of the Year at The Abuja Young Entrepreneurs
Awards.We went on to win the award in 2013. It’s
been a constant ascension; we’ve had several
features ranging from BellaNaija, Studio53 Extra,
Good-Morning Africa to TW Magazine and I know it
can only get better by Gods’ grace.
Which of your many jobs excite you the most?
While i love running and micro-managing the actual
business, i’m sure we can all agree that it is not an
easy task and it’s rather stressful. Thankfully being a
qualified beautician, I am also able to offer services
to my clients. This is something I love doing -
particularly facials- as it helps me to unwind and get
to know my clients better.
What other areas of your career are you looking to
explore?
I’m particularly excited about breaking into the
retail market with our range of Nail Care Solutions
and Gel Polish called AMALI COSMETICS. It’s given
me the opportunity to express my creative side and
infuse this with my passion for organic beauty. The
range is innovative and this is reflected particularly
in the one step gel polish.
What has been the high point of your career?
That would have to be being featured as one of the
women of West Africa Entrepreneurs alongside Mo
Abudu and Tori Abiola on the cover of ThisDay Style
early last year. Particularly because I was the
youngest one there and these are women I always
read about and drew inspiration from while growing
up. I felt honored, recognized and driven to keep
working hard.
What has been the lowest so far?
I really don’t remember feeling low at any point of
my career, I mean we all have bad days but nothing
heart wrenching comes to mind. I am a very
optimistic person and so i always see the good in
seemingly bad situations.
What are the plans for the future- short-term goals,
anything new?
The Nail Bar aims to have similar 5 star nail spas
and wellness centres in Lagos and Port Harcourt. We
will also be launching our own range of an
innovative one step gel polish called AMALI
COSMETICS which is set to launch early 2015. We
aim to have global distribution of this brand.
What’s your take on nail fashion and the industry?
I always say you’re never fully dressed without a
good manicure! Nail lacquers have always been a
regular feature at every fashion show and in beauty
magazines. You cannot debut make up or fashion
trends for the season without including nail trends.
They are intertwined and in recent years women and
even men have become more conscious of their
hands and feet, which explains the rapid growth in
the nail care industry.
Do you like fashion at all?
I wouldn’t refer to myself as a fashion enthusiast to
be honest. My approach to fashion is comfort is key,
so as a result you won’t see me following trends.
What’s your style preference?
Classic...it’s always elegant and chic.
Do you have a style icon?
Hmmm I would say Audrey Hepburn.
Are you a trend/designer buff or does anything go
for you?
No to trends, I wear whatever I feel most
comfortable in. I believe in investing in classic and
timeless pieces. So in that regard I would be more
inclined towards designer brands. However that
doesn’t mean I would buy something I consider
awful just because its “designer”.
Have you ever suffered a fashion faux pas, if yes tell
us about it?
No I don’t so you know. That is the thing about
being classic/timeless. You can never get it wrong.
lol.
If you had an opportunity of swapping wardrobes
with anyone, who would that be?
Victoria Beckham. Mainly because in recent times,
she does “classic” so well.
Where is your favorite shopping destination?
Well this is a slightly awkward question because I
dislike shopping. If I had to choose the most
convenient shopping destination however, i would
have to say London.
Are there celebrities male/female you think are
stylish home and abroad?
Yes. Blake Lively, Victoria Beckham and locally I
would say I like Omotola Jalade’s fashion
transformation.
Give us a typical day in your life.
I work 24/7, from the moment I am awake to when i
fall asleep. The one thing at the forefront of my mind
is work. I spend the most part of it at the spa,
putting the workstations in order, doing inventory,
holding staff meetings for our strategy for the day. I
have appointments with my clients- I always look
forward to this - and just ensure everything runs
smoothly. On a typical day I am done by 8/9pm and
on a very busy day I don’t get home till midnight.
Do you support Women’s rights? Tell us your views
on that.
Yes I do, my thesis at Univeristy was actually on
Women’s Rights in West Africa. I personally feel
there are several cultural barriers here in Nigeria that
have inhibited the progress of women. These need to
be re-addressed, we can only truly develop as a
country when we have more women involved in
politics and business. There’s the famous saying
“Educate a woman, Educate a nation”.
What’s your style fetish?
I am a nail polish addict. My friends refer to me as
the nail polish dictionary, I can pretty much tell you
any OPI, ESSIE or JESSICA polish name by simply
looking at it.
How do you keep fit?
I eat clean and do Yoga 2-3 times a week.
Where’s your favorite holiday resort?
Morocco...sunshine, great food and serenity is all I
need to have a fabulous holiday.
What’s your mantra?
Be nice to people on your way up, because you’ll
meet them on your way down.
Send a word of advice to young women starting out?
Believe in yourself 100%. Trust in God and rely on
Him to be your source of help and He will never let
you down. Hold on to your values and moral
principles and you will go far. There is a time for
everything, do not lose yourself or your vision in the
process of trying to compete with others or achieve
things before the due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment